East Moline Mental Health Center: Staff Newsletters, January 1967-July 1971
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Copies of the East Moline State Hospital’s staff newsletter, The Staff Echo, concern subjects including hospital visitors and volunteers; personnel appointments, policies, and transactions; fund drives; employee pay, insurance, and training programs; alcoholism treatment; promotional radio and television programs; construction and demolition of hospital buildings; collective bargaining; death announcements of current or former employees, or of their family members; employee service recognition awards; Mental Health Week; hospital open houses; job title posting and examination announcements; activities commemorating Illinois’ sesquicentennial (1968); recreational activities for hospital employees and patients (e.g., Christmas parties, picnics, plays); the opening of both the Adolescent Treatment Unit and the Psychiatric and Medical Center facilities at the hospital; a mental health tax referendum in Rock Island County; and the transfer of some hospital employees to the newly opened George A. Zeller Mental Health Center in Peoria. The file also includes a May 1951 Rock Island Argus news clipping about the hospital and the methods used to help treat patients (e.g., electroshock therapy, hydrotherapy, occupational therapy, group recreational activities).
Held at:
Illinois State Archives
M. C. Norton Building
Springfield, IL 62756
Phone: 217-782-3492
Fax: 217-524-3930
Email: isareference [at] ilsos.net
Record Series Number: 262/013
Created by: East Moline Mental Health Center - RG 262
Volume: 0.1 Cubic Feet
Arrangement: Random
Biographical Note for East Moline Mental Health Center - RG 262 :

In 1895 the General Assembly established the Illinois Western Hospital for the Insane. A board of three trustees, appointed by the Governor, was instructed to select a suitable site within the northwestern part of the state on which to locate the institution. The board also was empowered to initiate construction plans and after completion oversee the administration of the institution subject to the inspection of the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities (L. 1895, p. 18).

The trustees purchased land five miles east of Moline in an area known as the Watertown site. The hospital was opened in May 1898 and received its first patients from the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane at Jacksonville.

The board of trustees and the Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities were abolished in 1909 as control of all state charitable institutions passed to the newly created Board of Administration. The institution's name then became Watertown State Hospital (L. 1909, p. 102).

The Civil Administrative Code of 1917 transferred jurisdiction of the institution to the Department of Public Welfare. When the Department of Public Welfare was abolished in 1961 the Department of Mental Health assumed responsibility for the hospital (L. 1961, p. 2666). In 1975 the institution's name, which had been changed to East Moline State Hospital in 1927, was again altered to East Moline Mental Health Center (P.A. 79-581, p. 1895).

Access to some of these records is restricted according to the provisions of the Mental Health Code and the State Records Act of 1957 as amended.

Access Restrictions: None.
Subject Index
Alcoholism
Appointments
Awards
Celebrations
Charities
Children
Christmas
Collective Bargaining
Construction
Deaths
Demolitions
East Moline
East Moline Mental Health Center
Electricity
Examinations
Holidays
Hospitals
Hydrotherapy
Insurance
Labor Unions
Mental Health Institutions
Mental Health Week
Mentally Handicapped
Occupational Therapy
Patients
Peoria
Picnics
Plays
Psychiatric Therapy
Public Relations
Radios
Recreation
Referenda
Regulations
Salaries
State Employees
Taxes
Television
Training
Transfers
Treatment Centers
Visitors
Volunteers
Zeller Mental Health Center
PreferredCitation: East Moline Mental Health Center, "Staff Newsletters," Record Series 262.013, Illinois State Archives